Easy Ways To Keep Grackles and Other Blackbirds From Stealing All the Bird Food!
There's probably not a day in springtime and summer that we're not asked how to keep Grackles and other Blackbirds away from feeders. Luckily there are solutions:
• Eliminator Squirrel-Proof Feeder: The Eliminator Squirrel-Proof Feeder that shuts down, cutting off access to food when a grey squirrel lands on them can also be set to shut down when a large bird such as a Grackle lands on them.
• Mesh cages: The same cages used to keep squirrels off of tube and other feeders will keep Grackles and other large birds off as well.
• Adjustable domes: Tray feeders with adjustable domes not only keep rain and snow off food, but if lowered to a few inches from the tray keep large birds off as well. They simply can't fit!
• Upside down suet feeders: Woodpeckers and Nuthatches easily eat while hanging upside down. Grackles and other large birds may be able to hang upside down briefly and get in a few bites of your suet, but they can't hang on for long They're just not built for eating upside down!
• Safflower seed: Fill your feeders with safflower, most birds love it! Grackles, European Starlings, Red-wing Blackbirds and squirrels do not!
Want to keep Grackles and other Blackbirds off your feeders, but feel kind of guilty not feeding them? No worries, just give them their own feeder! Put a tray feeder out on the ground and fill it with cracked corn...yum! Grackles love corn! Squirrels like it, too.